Santo Domingo Trading Post is located in Domingo near Santo Domingo Pueblo in Sandoval County, NM. The property has three adjoining buildings which include the trading post, a warehouse and an apartment. The warehouse, the central and original structure at the site, was built during 1880/81 and was used as a mercantile store to serve both the town and the pueblo. The store was converted to a warehouse in 1922 when the Seligman family acquired the property and built a two-story addition, the Trading Post. It was built in California Mission Revival style with southwestern influences. The Trading Post closed in 1995 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
With the increasing popularity of the automobile it became a popular stopping place for tourists. Historically, trading posts were mercantile stores selling groceries, clothing, farming supplies, or equipment with cash or barter as forms of currency and were important to rural communities.
In 2001, a fire destroyed the trading post and adjoining warehouse. Santo Domingo Pueblo, as part of its economic development planning, wanted to restore the trading post to encourage tourism and economic development, and to retain its history.
In 2009 a report for implementation of Emergency Stabilization was prepared by Cornerstones (CCP) for the Pueblo and established that a rehabilitation project could be accomplished in three phases over an extended period, permitting time to raise the funds needed.
With funding from the Economic Development Administration in 2010, the tribe retained a contractor to restore the structure. In 2014, the New Mexico Historic Preservation Division granted Cornerstones funding to rebuild the front Façade of the warehouse and in 2015 Cornerstones received grants from the NM Historic Preservation Division and Chamiza Foundation for repainting the facades of the trading post and the warehouse. Santo Domingo artist, Ricardo Cate, accomplished the façade art restoration. In 2013 a grant from the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Fund through the National Trust for Historic Preservation, funded stabilization of the apartment.
Cornerstones consulted with the Pueblo throughout the project.